I always wanted a russian court gown, at least since I saw Anastasia movie, when i was a little girl. Yes, I have to admit that was the flame that started the fire.
I made it with a beautiful german velvet, in a very dark blue, that my fiancé gave me as christmas present.
Seeing the outstanding authentic pieces, my main problem has always been the embroidery.
I wanted it to pair with my fiancé’s costume, which was supposed to be the gold emrboidered uniform from the absynth scene in Bram Stoker’s Dracula. unfortunately, my skills were not enough to complete a proper tailored jacket for him, not as I wanted it, so he ended up with a different costume.
Anyway, the embroidery design is taken from that movie costume, trying to fit it in the russian court gown design. This is why the branches on the bodice are vertical.
I made all the leaves with my embroiderung machine, on organza, and then cut and sewn on the velvet. After that, I hand embroidered the ones on the bodice with silver bullion and beads.
In a second time, I added some indian embroidery appliqués, to complete the train.